Monday, February 27, 2012

Celebrate Women in History 2012

February is African American History Month and was first celebrated during a week in February 1926 that encompassed both the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass.

The celebration was expanded to a month in 1976, the nation’s bicentennial. President Gerald R. Ford urged Americans “to seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every endeavor in our history.”

This year’s theme, “Black Women in American Culture and History,” invites us to recognize the contribution that African American Women have played in our country’s history. These courageous women “have long served as champions of social and political change,” said President Barack Obama in his January 31, 2012 proclamation.

To celebrate both African American History Month and Women’s History Month, we are presenting the following events for our students, alumni, and the Berkeley community. Join us and hear from diverse and talented women leaders as they share their perspectives and experiences.

March 7 - Women’s Leadership Forum, 1:30-3:15pm, 3 East 43rd Street, NYC
(for more information please contact Nicole Luthman at 212-986-4343, ext 4214)

March 9 - 4th Annual Women’s Leadership Panel, 11:00am, Woodland Park, NJ

(for more information please contact Laura DeMers at 201-967-9667, ext 1794)

March 21 – “Women’s Leadership: Reflections, Insight, and Wisdom,” 6:30pm, 3 East 43rd Street, NYC

(for more information please contact Corina Slackman at 973-278-5400, ext 1208)
In celebration of African American History Month and Women's History month, I would like to learn about the women of color whom you admire and respect.

Please enter your comments by clicking on “comments” or in the box below.

Dario A. Cortes, PhD
President

1 comment:

  1. Hello President Cortes: Of all of the African-American women I admire, I would have to say that those I admire most are my mother and my daugher! I admire my mother because of the strides she made for herself including graduating from college in 1947. I admire my daughter because she is not afraid to try new things and she is not afraid to speak her mind. Both of these women have made me the woman I am today.

    ReplyDelete